Thursday, June 17, 2010

Yum Yum


I've officially been inspired to try cooking things I've never cooked before. Indian. Chinese. Mediterranean. Persian... But I'm talking about real, authentic [as authentic as a white girl from Oklahoma can be] - not drowning in fatty sauces and MSG. But fresh, flavorful, full of spices yadda yadda. Yadda yadda's not really anything you make, just whatever you want to fill in the blank - except for Turkish Delight - I will not be making any Turkish Delight. I hate Turkish Delight.

But I am really hoping to introduce Bunny to foods at an early age my boys would otherwise snub. I suppose if they get hungry enough, they'll try new things. So, my approach will be through starvation of ordinary fare. I'm not a big huge fan of pork and beef anyway, but lamb is certainly something these folks haven't had a lot of. Chicken is favored around here, but it's not as if I'm having to completely rearrange their diets as I'm not referring to dinosaur shaped chicken byproduct.

I've had several cookbooks - one of my favorite being Silk Road Cooking - but half of what is in there either sounds weird, is very hard to find, or I've had NO IDEA what ingredients were or where to begin looking for them.

But thanks again to the Cooking Channel I can see these things being used and can finally know what I'm even looking for. But, Lord help me find some curry leaves, please, 'cause I guess they are just "pertty rare around these here parts" [said filthy-woman-in-a-stained-wife-beater-barefoot-and-spittin'-her-chewin'-tobaccy-style]. We have a pretty awesome Asian Market I found TONS of 99 cent spices today - Indian and Asian. Not sure why anyone would buy spices anywhere else. I'm told there's a pretty great Indian grocer I need to check out. Oh, and I finally found Semolina flour! Hallelujah! Aren't you thrilled for me!!? Now I need a pasta cranker thingy.

4 comments:

skemiloo said...

What can I bring?

When's dinner?

Ashley said...

I have to be sure it's any good and then I'll be calling all Wisers to the table.

Maya Nair said...

I likey new look! Curry leaves can be frozen btw.

Ashley said...

Good to know! Good. To. Know. I might just buy a tree online! Sorta serious.